Magnesium chloride and applications
In the previous article, we learned about the properties of the valuable substance magnesium chloride. In this article, we are going to learn about the uses of this substance.
The addition of magnesium chloride in cements increases fire resistance, reduces thermal conductivity, and increases the resistance to abrasion. Many names have been given to such cements; the most famous of which is Sorel cement.
- Fire retardant agent in cellulose fibers
MgCl2.6H2O is used to prevent the fire of cellulose fibers. During the following process, it first loses its water due to heat, and after the oxidation process, it turns into magnesium oxide.
- MgCl2.6H2O → MgCl2.2H2O+2H2O
- MgCl2.2H2O → MgCl2.H2O+H2O
- MgCl2.H2O → MgO+2HCl
- Production of magnesium metal and other magnesium compounds
Magnesium chloride is a reactive material for the production of other magnesium compounds. An example of its reactivity is listed below:
MgCl2+2NH4OH → Mg(OH)2+2NH4Cl
If magnesium chloride is pure, it can be used to produce magnesium metal.
An alternative to magnesium sulfate is plant magnesium. The important thing about using this substance is its consumption amount; if its amount exceeds a certain limit, it causes plant poisoning and finally the death of the plant.
- Food industry
It is used as a coagulant in the preparation of tofu, soybeans and beverages and in the formulation of infant milk. It also creates flavor in some drinks and preserves color in food.
- Food and food supplements for animals
Their magnesium is used as a food supplement to supply; With magnesium, it plays a role in the stability of their bones by binding to calcium and phosphorus, and in addition, it is used for the digestion of their food. It also increases the quality of breeding eggs and improves hatching performance.
- Catalyst and supported catalysts
Magnesium chloride is also used as a catalyst. Also, since the third generation of supported catalysts, they have played an active role until today. You can see an example of the catalytic application of magnesium chloride in the picture.
The use of FeCl3 catalyst with the support of magnesium chloride reduces homoglucose.
- produce sugar from sugar beet
In addition to increasing the amount of sugar in the sugar beet plant, it also increases the efficiency of sugar extraction in sugar beet.
- Water treatment
Factory effluents (especially textile factory effluents) are one of the most polluted effluents entering the environment. Magnesium chloride is used as a coagulant of suspended substances, which has had a good performance.
- Road dust and anti-ice control
Magnesium chloride is known as an environmentally friendly antifreeze and dust control agent and is more economical than calcium chloride. Magnesium chloride is used on roads that are not covered to reduce dust.
In this article, we have tried to express some of the applications of magnesium chloride. Chemy Gostar Company is the producer of this product. If you want more information about this product and buy magnesium chloride (MgCl2), contact our experts.
- Esmail, W.A., Darwish, A.M.Y., Ibrahim, O.A. et al.The Effect of Magnesium Chloride Hydrate on the Fire Retardation of Cellulosic Fibers. Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry 63, 831–838 (2001)
- Lee KE, Goh TL, Simon N. Textile Industrial Wastewater Treatment by Polyacrylamide Aided Magnesium Chloride Hybrid Coagulant. Nature Environment & Pollution Technology. 2017 Jun 1;16(2).
- Zhang W, Lei F, Li P, Zhang X, Jiang J. Co-catalysis of magnesium chloride and ferrous chloride for xylo-oligosaccharides and glucose production from sugarcane bagasse. Bioresource technology. 2019 Nov 1;291:121839.
- Shand MA. The chemistry and technology of magnesia. John Wiley & Sons; 2006 Jun 12.