The refractory industry is the world’s largest user of magnesium oxide, producing raw materials linked to refractory and refractory industries such as synthetic magnesium oxide, dead burn magnesium oxide, and magnesium hydroxide (aqueous and anhydrous). In this industry, synthetic magnesium oxide is used to make refractory materials and thermal insulation for the inside walls of pipelines used in industry, as well as furnaces and melting furnaces used in the steel, cement, petrochemical, and oil and gas industries.

According to available data, approximately 56% of magnesium oxide used in the United States is utilized in this business, with the remaining 44% used in agricultural, chemical, construction, environmental, and other industries. Magnesium oxide is also used as a refractory base material in a metal melting pot (forging crucible).

Cement industries